We usually don't post jobs on SAJAforum. We post jobs of interest to journalists in a blog format for paid SAJA members only (are you one yet? Just $10 for students; $20 for journos and $30 for non-journos. Sign up at http://www.saja.org/membership). But we do, on occasion, post unusual or important jobs that are worth noting. Here's a special opportunity for the right person - they sent it specifically to SAJA for wide dissemination.
Post your comments below.
Managing Editor, Yahoo! India
As Managing Editor for Yahoo! India, you will be responsible for programming Yahoo India’s front page, news, entertainment, cricket and other key media properties. Your primary goal is to make Yahoo! India’s content as compelling and engaging as possible, directly impacting our top-level reach and user engagement metrics. You will be responsible for crafting Yahoo! India’s editorial voice, working closely with other Yahoo! sites globally.
Ideal candidates will have a number of years of successful programming under their belt at marquee media companies. You will have a keen eye for understanding and connecting with our target audience through the packaging and editing of digital content of all varieties – text, photos, video and audio. You will also have a clear track record managing large teams in continuous 24x7 operations. It’s critical that candidates know how to take a data-driven approach in building out and managing our content strategies and operations.
You are right for this position if you thrive in intense, “newsroom” style environments, where it’s up to you to make decisions quickly. You should value openness, creativity and having fun at work.
· Managing a team of 15+ in the daily programming Yahoo! India. Leading, training and mentoring both FTE and contractor staff.
· Planning the daily, weekly and monthly programming of Yahoo! India’s media properties, including Yahoo! Front Page, News, Entertainment, Cricket, Movies and Finance. Editing (and creating!) content packages of various media types – text, audio, video, photos.
· Owning and refining editorial policies and procedures. Make key editorial judgments for content, tone, and voice of Yahoo! India.
· Building a metrics driven organization that can demonstrate results and measure success.
· Coordinating the programming ad operations with other global content desks including Yahoo.com in the U.S.
· Working with cross-functional team leads, particularly Product Managers, Marketing and Engineering in building the product roadmaps for Yahoo! India
· Participating on Yahoo! India management team representing the editorial perspective.
· Impeccable interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
· Extremely organized individual with clear methodologies and process-drive approach
· Seven to ten years of media publishing experience
· Three to five years of internet media experience.
· Two to three years of direct people management experience (teams of 5 or more).
· A passion for online news, culture and media
· Ability to multitask and meet tight timelines in a fast-paced work environment
· Flexibility in schedule and ability to manage a 24x7 operations.
· B.A. – preferably in a journalistic or media field of study
This job will be based in Bangalore India and will require light travel.