Listen to a recording:
Don't forget: SAJAforum will be liveblogging the Oscars themselves at the link here and AFTER the telecast, will be hosting the event below.
On Sunday, Feb. 22, as soon as the Best Picture Oscar is announced, join SAJA (South Asian Journalists Association) and SAMMA (South Asians in Media and Marketing Association) on BlogTalkRadio for a live two-hour webcast and call-in show about "Slumdog Millionaire."
- Film experts, journalists and others will discuss the phenomenon that the movie has become and why - no matter how it does at the Oscars - it will be talked about for years to come.
- We will look at every aspect of the film - its origin as Vikas Swarup's novel; how it almost never made it to the screen; the reviews around the world; its Golden Globe and BAFTA success; how it was marketed and promoted in ways never seen before; the controversies surrounding it and much, much more.
- We will also have live reports from the post-Oscar parties in various cities, including the official Fox Searchlight party for "Slumdog" cast and crew in Hollywood as well as live reaction from Mumbai.
- Confirmed speakers so far include:
Cyndi Stivers, managing editor, EW.com, the website of Entertainment Weekly (see EW's coverage)
Rita Drucker, senior VP of feature film promotions for 20th Century Fox
Maria Giovanna, blogger, Filmiholic.com, a blog about all things Bollywood
Anna John, blogger, SepiaMutiny.com
Minal Hajratwala, author of the forthcoming "Leaving India: My Family's Journey From Five Villages to Five Continents" and a critic of the film (see her critiques here and here) - and read her blog post that tells you how you can help specific organizations deal with specific problems/issues shown in the slums of Mumbai
Aseem Chhabra, SAJA board member and arts writer who has been commenting on the film for everyone from Good Morning America to NPR to India Abroad (see AseemChhabra.com)
Raakhee Mirchandani, fashion reporter, New York Post
Lisa Tsering, film writer, India West, Times of India (live from the Oscars)
Arun Venugopal, WNYC Radio correspondent and editor of SAJAforum
Jonathan Foreman, writer-at-large, London's Standpoint magazine; former film critic for NY Post; calling from Delhi.
CO-HOSTS: Aparita Bhandari, SAJA VP and Toronto-based entertainment journalist & Sree Sreenivasan, Columbia J-school Prof and SAJA co-founder.
PRODUCER/CALL SCREENER: Demos Yannikos of BlogTalkRadio
(many more to come)
Sunday, Feb 22, 11:30 pm-1:30 am New York time
8:30 pm-10:30 pm Hollywood time
Monday, 10 am-noon Bollywood time
(see local time around the world: http://snurl.com/ca2x0)
Listen live, or later to a recording:
(you can set an e-mail reminder for yourself at that link)
Or call-in live (or just listen) at +1-347-324-5991
This is the second annual SAJA-SAMMA webcast around the Oscars. In 2008, we used the awards as an opportunity to look at the state of South Asians in Hollywood. Speakers included actors Kavi Ladnier, Aasif Mandvi and Manu Narayan. You can listen to the recording and read a report here.
Listen to previous SAJA webcasts about "Slumdog Millionaire":
- Listen to webcast with Danny Boyle, director of "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Listen to webcast with A.R. Rahman, music maestro
- Listen to webcast with Vikas Swarup, whose novel "Q&A" became "Slumdog Millionaire"
Read SAJAforum's coverage: