Just when I thought we'd grown jaded by desi milestones - best SAT score ever, longest arangetam ever - the Golden Globes happened, and we were treated to a succession of never-before-ever images:
- AR Rahman wins for best score (Slumdog), thanks people of India
- Shah Rukh Khan presents the film clip of Slumdog, threatens Bolly-style pelvic thrust to suited-booted white audience, gives small, charming hug to Freida Pinto, thus presenting inter-gender, inter-religious harmony of Hindustan to rest-of-world
- Danny Boyle wins for best director (Slumdog), prompting audience member Anil Kapoor to perform small leap in the air. I'm embarrassed, but more embarrassed by his unfortunate choice of beard.
- Final presentation... Tom Cruise presenting... Slumdog wins for Best Picture - hello! Whole cast assembles on stage: Danny Boyle, the producer (Christian Colson), Dev Patel, Freida Pinto, AR Rahman, and of course... Anil Kapoor's facial shrubbery.
So Slumdog went 4 for 4, also winning best original screeplay.
Pet peeve of the night: AR Rahman's name was mangled not once, but twice, including in David Duchovny's "correction." "A.R. Roomin"?? It's Rehh-maan, Hollywood, Rehhh-maaaahn. I must say, I feel slighted. When will these people learn?
That said: a good night. Onward to Oscar (nominations announced Thursday, Jan. 22; the movie opens in India later this week).
- Shah Rukh Khan to present at Golden Globes
- Listen to webcast with A.R. Rahman, music maestro
- Listen to webcast with Vikas Swarup, whose novel "Q&A" became "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Slumdog stars go on media blitz
- "Slumdog Millionaire" wows critics and moviegoers
- Q&A with Danny Boyle, director of "Slumdog Millionaire"
Post your comments and Oscar predictions below.
[ABOVE: That's the Drudge Report site at 11:15 pm ET, right after the show. BELOW: the lead item at 9:15 am ET the next day]