A blogger at HotAir notes that presidential contender Hillary Clinton gets some of her basic facts wrong when it comes to Benazir Bhutto's death and the upcoming elections. In this YouTube video, of a December 30 interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Hillary suggests that Bhutto would've been running against Pervez Musharraf ("he could be the only person on the ballot"), when in fact he was just elected to a 5-year-term as President, and she was planning to contest the position of Prime Minister.
Second, she thinks that Nawaz Sharif was going to opt out of the election, when in fact, as we posted earlier, he'd been barred from running by Musharraf. HotAir also notes that on a previous occasion, Clinton stated that Benazir's father, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was 'assassinated' when in fact he was executed.
On a related note, Anna over at Sepia Mutiny points out that Barack Obama actually pronounces "Pakistan" correctly (PAAH-kis-thaan, rather than the Americanized PACK-is-tan) - a feat as impressive as his winning the Iowa caucus last night. Check out the YouTube video:
That said, Obama also spoke out against outsourcing last night. From NDTV:
''I'll be a president who ends the tax breaks for companies that ship our jobs overseas and put a middle-class tax cut into the pockets of working Americans who deserve it,'' Obama said in his victory speech.
Earlier on SAJAforum:
- Iowa - Obama's South Asian support
- The candidates react to the Bhutto assassination news
- Bollywood Obama
- Obama's Unusual Pakistan Plan
- Hillary takes in $2 million at Indian-American fundraiser
- Hillary courts the Indian vote, and purse
- Obama Apologizes for Campaign "Screw-up"
- Obama Digs In, Plays Outsourcing Card
- Desi Supporters of Obama and Clinton
- Resources for 2008 presidential race